- 1 (.25 ounce) package active dry yeast
- 1 teaspoon white sugar
- 1/4 cup warm water (110 degrees F/45 degrees C)
- 6 eggs
- 6 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup white sugar
- 1/4 cup butter, melted
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 1 cup water
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 2 quarts vegetable oil for frying
- 2 cups white sugar
- Dissolve yeast and 1 teaspoon sugar in 1/4 cup warm water; set aside.
- In small bowl, beat eggs until thick.
- Put flour in large bowl, making a well in the center. Into the well add yeast, eggs, 1/2 cup sugar, melted butter, milk, 1 cup water, and salt. Beat thoroughly to form a soft, smooth dough. Cover, let dough rise until doubled.
- Heat oil to 375 degrees F (190 degrees C). Drop dough by big teaspoonfuls into oil, fry until golden brown. Drain on paper towels, shake in a bag of sugar to coat, and serve hot.
- Optional: add cinnamon to your sugar for coating. Nutrition Facts (Per Serving): 88 calories; 3.3 g fat; 13.2 g carbohydrates; 1.6 g protein; 16 mg cholesterol; 40 mg sodium.
How did you like this recipe?